Rat lung worm: Young Australians eat snail, falls into a coma and dies

The day on which the life of Sam Ballard keeps changing is several years: in 2010, the then 19-year-old friends were sitting together in the garden. You were drinking

The day on which the life of Sam Ballard keeps changing is several years: in 2010, the then 19-year-old friends were sitting together in the garden. You were drinking wine and joking, when suddenly a snail crept onto the terrace. The boys noticed the animal and thought how funny it would be if someone ate a snail. A stupid idea, a challenge, nothing more. Sam grabbed the snail and swallowed the slimy animal.

Days after plucky Sam developed leg pain, Australian TV show “The Sunday Project” reported in April this year. Sam’s mother, Katie Ballard, was initially afraid that your son might have multiple sclerosis (MS). The declaration seemed obvious to her. Sam’s father also suffers from a chronic inflammatory disease of the nervous system. Sam told his mother to have courage with the snail – but she waved her hand. “I told him ‘no, no one is sick from anything’.”

rat lungworm in brain, poisonous spider Canadians will be bitten by a black widow – doctors send him home

Doctors finally found the reason for Sam’s ailments: he was infected with a dangerous parasite called rat lungworm. The main host of the worm is rats, in the lungs, it is alive. Betasus Parasite larvae survive in rat droppings, and the worm will eat. Also shrimp or frogs can transmit the larvae. People are stuck with the parasites if they eat raw or undercooked infected animals. A further infection is the possibility of lettuce leaves, between which snails can hide and remain unnoticed to be eaten.

See also  Where Britain’s sexiest soap stars are now… from Hollyoaks babe married to popstar to Corrie legend's 'Rear of the Year'

Rat lungworm, originally from Asia, but also from Australia, Africa, the Caribbean and the Pacific Islands. Infections in humans are usually harmless and heal on their own.

It’s different in Sam’s case: he was diagnosed with a rare form of meningitis, because the worm made its way to the brain. He fell into a coma from which he woke up only after 420 days. From that day on, he was paralyzed from the neck down and could no longer eat on his own. From now on, his family devotedly took care of the young man.

Sam’s battle with the disease ended last Friday. He died at the age of 29, surrounded by friends and family.

ikr Updated date: November 9, 2018, 8:00 a.m

Categories: Optical Illusion
Source: newstars.edu.vn

Rate this post

Leave a Comment